You’ll be amazed how without problems, you may make flan at domestic if you use Chef Mary from SelectHealth’s recipe. It’s a mild version of the commonly excessive-fats dessert, and it is every bit as desirable because of the original!
This recipe handiest uses 2 cups fats-unfastened 1/2 and half of at 320 calories and 0 fats in place of everyday half and half of which has 630 energy and 56 grams of fats in line with 2 cups. Also, the sugar turned into reduced.
- Cooking Times
- Serves: 6 2/3 cup servings
- cooking spray, non-aerosol or ordinary
- 1/3 cup sugar for caramelizing and ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. Sugar for the custard
- 1 tbsp. Gluten-free cornstarch
- four extra huge eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Almond extract
- ¼ tsp. Sparkling floor nutmeg
- pinch salt – non-obligatory
- 2 cups fat-free half of and half of
1. Lightly spray six 6 to eight-oz custard cups, or 1 to 1.5-quart round custard/souffle dish with cooking spray and location in a 13 x nine x 2-inch baking pan. Use a roasting pan for the larger container.
2. On medium heat, upload 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tbsp—water to a small heavy saucepan. Stir until dissolved. Boil syrup gently until light to medium amber in the shade. Stir handiest to break any clumps of sugar (8 mins). Immediately pour into cups or dish, tilting so caramel semi-coats bottom(s). Don’t allow sugar to flip a dark coffee shade!
3. preheat oven to 325 F. Blend last sugar with cornstarch. In a 2-quart bowl, whisk sugar with eggs, extracts, and nutmeg until mixed. Gently blend in 1/2 and a half. Pour custard thru a small sieve into prepared cups or dishes. Pour sufficient warm water into the baking pan to come midway up facets of cups or plate.
4. Bake cups 40 to 45 mins; 60 to 70 mins for a larger dish, or till flan(s) have warmed in the shade and are set, however still jiggle while the cups/dish are touched. A sharp knife inserted near the center ought to pop out clean. Carefully get rid of the baking pan from the oven and transfer flan(s) fthe rom the water tub to a cooling rack. When cooled to room temperature, cover and kick back for four hours or in a single day; flan can be made a day in advance, protected, and chilled until ready to unmold.
5. To serve, run a thin knife around the edges of cups or dishes to loosen the flan. Turn cups out onto small plates. For a
large flan, invert a serving plate over the pinnacle of the word. Holding the dish and plate securely collectively, fast invert. Caramel will pour over and around flan(s). Drizzle any closing caramel over flan(s) before serving.